Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Don't give up!

I had been 100 pounds heavier for years and had given up on ever losing the weight. I tried diets and they didn't work and I couldn't figure out why. I would practically starve myself and literally lose an ounce or two for the week. I had no energy and I couldn't stand it any longer. I was praying hard that the Lord would give me the wisdom to figure out what was wrong with me.

I remember going to sleep at night, sleeping soundly for about 10 hours and waking up feeling exhausted. I began researching everything I could online as well as seeing many doctors, surely someone would figure out what was wrong with me. My first answer came about 6 years ago. Although this answer didn't really help in my quest to lose weight right away, it began to help me feel better. One of my doctors walked in the room and said, "you have severe allergy to wheat." Everyday I fed my family organic, whole grain foods. We ate very little meat and lots of whole wheat, from pastas to breads and cereals. The doctor apologized as if I were going to be upset with her findings. I assured her that it didn't bother me that I was allergic to wheat but I wanted to know everything I needed to do to feel better. I quickly began eating gluten free (this was several years before gluten free tasted good). Sure enough, many of my digestion problems began to go away.

This was my first solution to a healthier me and it played a big role in me feeling better. Don't give up finding out what your body needs. It may take some time to figure it all out, but it's your body and it's worth it! I can tell you it has been worth every moment of research and applying all the changes for me to feel better and to feel better about myself.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Amy for sharing your story with the world. I just know you will be a valuable inspiration to so many millions who have struggled with various health issues all their life.
    As a fitness enthusiast and holistic health proponent, you have inspired me anew to get out there and improve my own level of health.

    My our creator richly bless you in this new endeavor of health and well-being through His strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I hope to be an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful that you have decided to blog your adventure! I know your testimony has been a great encouragement to me!

    Love you!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Amy! I have been feeling God nudging me towards gaining control over my weight and as a result my health. I was praying about where to start and feeling a little discouraged by past failures when low and behold I click on Facebook and there is your blog. Just the encouragement I needed! I look forward to reading about your adventure as I embark on mine.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Johnnal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Molly! You have been such a huge blessing to Becca and I. I am very thankful for you. Love you too! :)

    Johnnal...I am so excited that I could be an encouragement. The journey has been so worth it. Let me know if I can help you in any way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to try and eat this way. I'm so proud of you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too have lost a lot of weight in the past year and a half. Almost 100 pounds, but not there yet. I found out I have a condition known as PcOS which, along with other things causes your body to produce twice the amount of insuline needed when you injest carbs. For example, if I were to eat a piece of bread, my body would produce insulin as if I had eaten half a loaf. That,in turn, causes the body to vain weight. So, I have to eliminate all raw carbs from my diet. Sugar too. When I reach my goal weight, I can incorporate small amounts of whole grains, but I do.t really want to. I miss being able to eat fruit, but I will be able to have it in SMALL amounts once j reach my goal. I take vitamjns to supplement not having carbs in my diet. Fiber is essential to a successful healthy weightloss too. Everyone thinks Fiber is just for...well, you know. But, it has sow many more healthy benefits. People generally don't get the proper amounts of Fiber daily. So anyhow, I just wanted to say I know where you're coming from. This has, by far,been the hardest thing to contend with. Weight is so much more than just a physical thing, especially in today's society. It's hard and emotional and...painful. But, God is onour side. Of this, I am sure.
    PS : Found your blog through Shannon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lizz....so glad you came to Amy's blog. She's really concurred a lot like you have.... you'll get to your goal, you've come this far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Shannon!! Thanks for posting this too! You're such an awesome friend!!!

    Lizz...wow...keep it up! That is wonderful that you found out what was wrong. I have read a lot about PCOS and I know how much you have to change with it. It's wonderful that you have actually taken the hard steps to do what you need to! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete