Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Next Step

As I settled into my gluten free diet, things were getting a little bit better. I did  a lot of experimentation with different foods at first, some were really good and some were just plain terrible. I quickly learned which brands to buy and which to stay away from. My ability to digest food was most definitely improving. At least now I could sit through an entire meal with my family without getting up  to  go and lay on the couch in pain. This was definitely a welcome improvement!

 I continued doing a lot of research to try to shed more light on the other issues that I was still dealing with, including not being able to lose weight. I read everything I could for several years  and then I found it...hypothyroidism. There was a list of symptoms that seemed to be, for the most part, describing what I was living. Here are a couple of sites that I found very helpful...

http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz/blhypoquizi.htm

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

My next step would be finding a doctor who would actually listen to me about my thyroid. The doctor I had been going to up to this point was not willing to do this, so the search was on!  I prayed for wisdom to find a good doctor who would be able to help me and the Lord answered that prayer and led me to my doctor about a year later. I was so very thankful! My new doctor tested me and found that I indeed did have hypothroidism and he started me right away on a natural thyroid prescription. I actually began feeling better within the first couple of weeks and I now had a very important key to my weight loss journey.I still had quite a long road in front of me, but now I knew that I at least had a fighting chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment